The Molinari Quartet is pleased to announce its Sixth International Competition for Composition for string quartet.
Composers are invited to submit an original work for string quartet. The best compositions will be played in concert during the Molinari Quartet’s Twentieth and Beyond series to be held in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) during the 2015-2016 season.
The jury will be comprised of the Molinari Quartet’s artistic director and its musicians, in addition to well-known Canadian composers John Rea, Michel Gonneville and Ana Sokolovic who will determine four winners. The winning compositions will be performed by the Molinari Quartet during a special concert during the 2015-2016 season. After the concert performance the jury will deliberate and choose the order of the winners. The First Prize winner shall receive a $3000 grant as well as a silkscreen by renowned Canadian artist Guido Molinari. The second prize winner will receive a $2000 grant and the third prize winner a $1000 grant. The jury reserves the right not to grant all three prizes.
The winners will be invited to work with the Molinari Quartet prior to the concert and to participate in the Dialogues at the Chapelle, a public workshop of discussions and analysis produced by the Molinari Quartet.
Rules for Eligibility:
• Candidates must be 40 years old or less as of April 1st 2015, the due date for registration.
• The work must not exceed 20 minutes.
• Only works for string quartet that have neither been performed professionnally nor published as of April 1st 2015 shall be accepted.
• Works for quartet and electronics are accepted.
• Scores must be received by the Molinari Quartet at the latest April 1st 2015. (The post
office stamp shall be recognized as the receiving date)
• Registration fees of $25 CAN must accompany all scores. *
• A candidate may submit more than one work, but each work must be sent separately.
• Parts and scores shall remain the property of the Molinari Quartet.
• The candidate must send a score as well as separate playing parts to the Molinari Quartet.
• All scores must be sent anonymously; only a pseudonym can appear on the score pages.
• The candidate shall also send a sealed envelope bearing his or her pseudonym which will contain his or her name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, birth date, resumé as well as a statement as to the fact that the work is yet unpublished and that it has never been performed professionnally.
• The composer whose work has been chosen as one of the winning compositions, will not receive any extra payment for the execution or recording of the work.
• The winners of the competition commit themselves to find the necessary funding for a stay in Montreal to work with the Molinari Quartet and assist to the performance in the 2015-2016 season.
* The registration fees may be paid by cheque (to Molinari Quartet), Paypal or cash. We also accept US dollars but you must add 5$ to cover the bank’s conversion fees.
Due date for registration and receiving scores: April 1 st 2015
Jury: May 2015
Announcement of winners: May 2015
Winners Concert: 2015-2016 season
Please send the scores to :
P.O. Box 56536
Canada H1W 3Z3
For more information email@example.com
or call 514-527-5515